The importance of a strong brand position
Forget about your website for now. An effective online presence, or a successful business for that matter starts with a strong brand & brand position. I can’t stress this enough; without a strong brand position, that is a brand position that has competitive advantage, you risk losing customers to that “dreaded” competition.
Building & positioning a brand isn’t easy. It’s an on-going, somewhat tedious process, but it’s a strong brand that determines the success or failure of your business.
To evaluate whether you have a strong brand, ask yourself these 6 questions:
1. Is the brand position highly differentiated?
2. Does the position have competitive advantage?
3. Does it guide & inspire your organisation & clients?
4. Is the position sustainable over time?
5. Does it disrupt the marketplace status quo?
6. Can it be consistently executed over time, meanwhile retaining its freshness?
(Ref. Brand is a four letter work, by Austin McGhie)
Start by doing some research into brand development & positioning. Learn as much as you can. If you have the cash, hire a brand expert. If you’re on a budget, buy this book: Brand is a four letter word – Positioning and the real art of marketing, by Austin McGhie. Austin illustrates in simple terms the importance of brand development and offers constructive advise on how to improve your business through strategic positioning. A must have for any business owner.